Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If you are in the middle of a custody case, can you withhold…

Customer Question
If you are in the...
If you are in the middle of a custody case, can you withhold the child from a parent if the judge said to keep doing what your doing until the next court date on 12/13/17. The mother is saying that her lawyer said to keep the baby. Im in chesterfield Va
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/18/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Good afternoon. No, you can not. If there is a current court order in effect and the judge has instructed and ordered that it remain and control until the issue is heard and decided, a parent could not just change it. If they are withholding the child, a motion to hold them in contempt could be filed for failing to complay ans disobeying the judges order. There needs to be a legal basis for her to keep the baby and if there is not they can be in trouble.