Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

We have been having trouble with my granddaughters

Customer Question
Ma'am we have been...

Ma'am we have been having trouble with my granddaughters stepmother who is not married to her father my daughter is the biological mom and the biological Dad's girlfriend is the one we have been having trouble with my daughter and the bio dad have joint managing conservatorship and buying Dad's girlfriend does not allow the two parents to speak to each other all communication has to go through her even though it is court-ordered that bio dad and bio mom do the communication she is afraid the parents will get back together and doesn't understand that they don't ever ever want to get back together but she is so jealous and bio dad is not allowed to speak to bio mom through text through calls or in person she has been told this several times by the police but she will not step down and bio dad keeps allowing it to happen because he is afraid she will take their son they do have a 2 year old son together sometimes my daughter will get a text from bio Dad cell phone but we can tell it is not bio dad and that it is his girlfriend because bio-dad has poor grammar and poor spelling so even if the court and forced Family Wizard she would make him give her the sign on and the password ***** access to it she has also now started to emotionally abused my eight year old granddaughter bye telling her bad things about my daughter and we just saw this with our own eyes today when we went to pick her up for her Thanksgiving break a couple of days prior to this bio Dad's girlfriend had been texting and calling my daughter and basically just listing out to her everything that she thinks makes her a bad mother and when we picked up my granddaughter today every single word that came out of that child's mouth was exactly word for word what the girlfriend had called and told my daughter my eight year old granddaughter made a big scene and told us that she was not coming with us for Thanksgiving because we had to share her and that it was not our turn when in fact we have always followed the holiday rules with no problem but I am assuming that bio Dad's girlfriend starting to develop a serious mental illness and now she has turned to emotional abuse against my granddaughter and bashing us and trying to turn her against us we have never ever had a problem with my granddaughter not wanting to come with us normally when she is with us she does not want to leave us and today was a whole nother story and it was obvious she was coached by court orders this is our year together for Thanksgiving and it's bio Dad's here to get her for Christmas last year we had no problem with doing this and now bio Dad's girlfriend wants to keep my granddaughter for Thanksgiving and Christmas and she even threatened my daughter the Bayou mom that if she did not pay her child support and insurance support on time that she was not going to allow my granddaughter to come with us for Thanksgiving my daughter had paid these things on time but the bio Dad's girlfriend wants the money and cash because she says it takes too long to come from the Attorney General's office I asked a lawyer here in town where we live if we could bring bio dad and his girlfriend with us for a consultation so that she can hear it from an attorney orange judge that she is not to be involved in the communication between the two bio parents the lawyer laughed at me and said no I don't want them in my office and no I judge will not talk to them either something needs to be done I am a registered nurse and I have experience in psychology with true mentally unstable patients and bio Dad's girlfriend fits the picture she is getting overwhelmed with not being able to trust them and I have seen this before in patience and they literally lose it to the point to where they are mentally unstable my daughter in the bio dad have told her several times they don't want to get back together and they never will this last time that she called my daughter the girlfriend tell my daughter that she is just jealous because sh

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have not spoken to a lawyer yet this was just an over the phone 2 minute advice request we have a free consultation on the 27th but I fear we will not be taken seriously again

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/19/2017
Family Lawyer: Amber E., Family Law Attorney replied 8 months ago
Amber E.
Amber E., Family Law Attorney

This is all quite troubling and I understand your concern. But what specific question do you have?

I want to sue her but what can I sue her for? She needs to know this is not OK.

Usually when there is a dispute concerning a minor child, and especially when the problem is an un-married significant other, the most common way to resolve it is by the parent who is having the problem filing a MOTION with the court asking for something, in particular, to be done to resolve it. A motion asks for specific action which the court can then enforce as an order by way of a threat of jail or fine. For example, a motion may ask the court to prohibit the significant other from discussing the case in front of the child or on social media or with third parties, passing messages between parents, appearing at exchanges, even from communicating at all with the other parent. And once the motion is filed, the court holds a hearing to get both parties' points of view and determine whether to grant the motion or not.

However, when there is an existing court order, failure to comply even threat of refusal to comply may be considered contempt of court, which is also punishable by a fine or jail time. A parent cannot say to another parent," if you don't pay child support you don't get to exercise court-ordered custodial time," for example. A motion for contempt bringing that to the court's attention could result in the court taking appropriate steps to stop that from happening.

But it all starts with the filing of a motion. Many courts today have forms available, Texas courts, in particular, have many self-help forms and formbooks available either at the court or at the library. The local legal aid office can also help with forms, or even with the drafting of the paperwork. You can find your local office at www.lsc.gov.