Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My husband filed for divorce after I had him arrested for…

Customer Question
My husband filed for...

My husband filed for divorce after I had him arrested for family violence. He goes into rages. That night he was going to bed and he sleeps upstairs because of snoring. But he does what I call a drop and run. Which he will make a comment about something I said and make it out to be none of my business and then heads for upstairs. I went up and stood on the door way and asked why saying my done ruined another sofa wasn’t ok but him talking to our daughter about our marital problems was. He came at me and threw rip against the wall hitting my head on the thermostat box and had his hands around my neck. After he finally let go and quit yelling at me I went down stairs. I don’t know why I did it but I Gia a thick bowl and tried to break one of the small bay windows on the dining room. Only the bowl broke so I got a hammer and with two good swings it was gone. My husband yelled from upstairs what have you done know. I asked if he would help me clean it up. We got into a argueement and he kept yelling at me that was the stupidest thing I had ever done. The next thing I know he has pushed me backwards on the couch and was on top of me screaming in my face with the maddest look on his face. I thought he had his hand on my neck and that’s what I told the officers. The next morning when I took my gown off. I had some pretty good bruises on my left arm but my right arm had major bruises on it and as it began to heal you could see three fingers that were the cause of the bruising. This isn’t the first time he has been physical with me. But he just goes into these rages. After he got off me he was so give out and acting like his chest was hurting him, this is how intense on anger he gets. He sat down and o asked if I needed to call 911 and he said like I would so I asked again and he said no and went upstairs. The reason I called the police is that I usually see then coming but this time I didn’t. It caught me completely off guard and it was worse this time. It took 17 days for the bruise on my right arm to go away. I was afraid that next time I might not see it coming and it could be a lot worse. There is a no contact bond on him. I haven’t told the prosecutor about the pictures of the bruises. I’m afraid he will get more than angur management. I don’t want a dicborce we have been married for 35 1/2 yrs. he had said he would do marriage counciling before this happened. I want to give him a choice to go to marriage couceling or I would go to the prosecutor and giving him everything and tell him about the other times. I don’t know what to do. I don’t want the divorce. I want to get him help. Can I make him choose to go to marriage couciling or I will go to the church and tell everyone how he really is. Is that legal to do. Because we are both going to be broke if he does this and I thing he did it because I humiliated him. I do love him and if the marriage couciling doesn’t work then ok. Can I make him choose and pull the papers he filed at this time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I reported what he did and they took him to jail. He filed papers 2 days ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He is a pastor and I have never said anything that would hurt his reputation. I feel he owes me marriage couciling like he said he would do. He has gotten worse over the last 6 months. My daughter and my husband and son all three have accused me of abusing my pain medication for my back. I have 2 Dr and a blood test to back up I’m not. How can I put a hold on this divorce and get him to marriage couciling legally. And I’m not below threading to tell the church everything where he would probably loose the church.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/18/2017
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

Unfortunately, you cannot make your spouse go to marriage counseling, nor do you have the right to have the divorce paperwork withdrawn. As the petitioner, only he can file to dismiss the case, should the two of you decide that you would rather work on the marriage.

Many times people will ask us if a court will stop a divorce from happening if the other spouse does not agree to it, but the answer is no. A court cannot and will not stop a person who is seeking a divorce from doing so. State law also does not mandate that a judge send you to marital counseling prior to a divorce.

You do have the right to tell people about what has happened with your spouse, yes, provided that whatever statements you make are truthful. False statements could be considered defamation of character. Also remember that something like a police report and criminal court filings are public record anyway and anyone can have access to them.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer