Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wife has not been to our home in 2 weeks. She claims she…

Hello. My wife has...

Hello. My wife has not been to our home in 2 weeks. She claims she stops by every day" to look around" Local police officer suggested doing a civil standby, setting a particular date for her to come pick up whatever she needed from our home then I could change the locks. Not only is she coming in to take things but arranges for help in doing so while I'm not home. Caught her last time and called police. I was declined on applying for protection order, the lady she lives with 5 houses down from me is constantly threating me via text message and both of them threaten to send me to jail constantly. She put a lock on our bedroom door, I need to get 2 of the bedrooms ready to rent for help financially as I'm unemployed waiting on my application for disability retirement due to back surgeries. So I figure get some help from renting, that would also have someone around instead of by myself all the time being threatened. She refuses to give me the door key, Can I take the door off its hinges to access my room?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Ohh yeah, my apologies. Englewood, Colorado Arapahoe County

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I stopped by my step fathers lawyers office briefly, he was busy but basically told me his fee to get started. 5k retainer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm not sure, this is all very new to me. Weve bee married 14 years, been together since 12 years old, have 3 daughters together none at home and a new addition of a grandson. She had suddenly shut down and became very aggressive, agreed to help with bills for a while but did not at all and said it was intentional. Basic services to our home have been shut off several times, cell phones and internet to contact disability office and youngest daughter still in school. I sold my motorcycle to get utilities caught up and follow through with mortgage payment arrangement. She refuses to help with anything and has already taken the hunting riffle collection and everything that goes with them.

11/18/2017
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. Does your wife work? Do you want to stay married or are you thinking about divorce? Can your children help you? Those are my questions for you... but I want to answer your question regarding the door and the hinges. The answer is yes. It's your door and your hinges and you can do what you want with them :) I hope that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It doesn't cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively (3 or more stars - 5 is definitely appreciated!). If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your questions.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Thanks for your answer and response. Sorry for the delay, had to pick my daughter up from work.I have so many questions as this is so new to me and defiantly very worried of loosing everything. She is getting daily advise from a person that not a good influence at all which I've stated those concerns with my wife but instead of taking that positively she tells her what I said and I get more threats. A phone call may be easier. What do you charge for phone advise and also what's the charge for using this website? Thought I saw something charged per question or a charge after the first question was answered. She cleared our account out opened her own somewhere else so I have to be cautious . Yes she does work...work is also where she's stepped out on our marriage a few times in the past. Pretty sure that's another issue causing a lot of this. I never wanted a divorce or separation and we promised our kids they would never grow up in a broken family like I did. Never wanted them to know what that feels like but here we are. That tears me up the most. She stayed to our middle daughter that she already raised them, did her job so now she's going to live her life. I let her know and the police she could take anything from the house. Anything she needed and I was content using a bucket to sit on. I've worked all my life very hard to accomplish what we have. She has too in certain aspects. She has deserted our family, our kids, pets, and home. Like a light switch went off. I cannot carry conversations as she becomes violent physically and verbally. She's never been that way. Met her when I was 12 years old and been there ever since. So yes a call or messages whatever is best I just ask that you give me a heads up on pricing. I work overnights I'm my shop at home right now so no worries if there's a delay in response. Thanks again!

It's my pleasure. If I can help you with anything in the future please reach out :)

If you type "Question For Olivia" before your question it'll be routed to me.