Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex wife reopened our divorce case without my knowledge…

Customer Question
My ex wife reopened...

My ex wife reopened our divorce case without my knowledge got a final judgement of 15k Can I appeal this? I was unaware of the case until I got the final judgement

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No She had an attorny I did not

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Everyone in this small town is friends with her family

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/17/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

What was the basis of her doing this? Do you know why you were never notified and only received the final judgment?

All I can figure is that that was there way of keeping me from showing up
I don't just want to know what to do next
CAN I appeal this and re-open it like she did?

Thank you for the reply. In a situation like this, a party would try and vacate the judgment and ask for a re-hearing on the matter. They would have a right to be placed on notice about this and given a chance to respond and contest, whatever the Ex has done. If they were not given this opportunity, they could have a basis to ask the Judge that the judgment be vacated and this decided on the merits. They should pull the court file and see what they motioned for and why this was done and if there was proof that notice was sent or that they were even informed of this. The Judge can vacate it and have it re-heard, if it can be shown the other party acted in bad faith.

How DO I do this?

A motion would be filed with the court, to vacate the judgment and ask that it be reheard. In the body, you want to show and support that you had no clue that she motioned the court to open the case and award her additional money and you were never served and placed on notice, given a chance to respond and object. A copy needs to be sent to her and the Judge and you need to call the judicial assistant of the Judge, to set it for hearing.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Ely, Counselor at Law