Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughters were emancipated this week. They are 19 and 22.

Customer Question
Am I still supposed to...
My daughters were emancipated this week. They are 19 and 22. Am I still supposed to cover them under my health insurance?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/17/2017
Family Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

You have no obligation to do so. You may if you choose, but are not required to. The ACA (Affordable Care Act) mandates that insurance companies have plans that allow insured to keep children on until age 26, but does not require the parent to cover the child. If the child is emancipated, then there's no continuing obligation of support. Any support is voluntary at this point.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer