Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can a 17 year old buy a car with money down and making

Customer Question
Can a 17 year...

Can a 17 year old buy a car with money down and making payments

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Ohio used car but don't know age

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to buy a car (used) for my 17 year old niece but i want her to own it not me

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/17/2017
Family Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 10 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Are her parents or legal guardians permitting her to own a car?

i do not want to pay 59 dollars

I will let customer service know.

Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 10 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

Your previous expert has opted out and I have opted in.

The answer is subjective.

1) A minor at 17 cannot enter into a valid contract with a few exceptions - see below;

2) However once the minor turns 18 and continues to make payment, then they "verify" the contract as valid;

3) In addition, even at 17, a minor cannot void a contract for necessities like food, clothing, and lodging. However, a vehicle is unlikely to be held a necessity, and ergo can be voided before the minor turns 18. However, it is subjective.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

I wanted to let you know there may be a way for a minor to purchase the car in Ohio. The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) states if you are under 18 and want to title a vehicle, your parent or legal guardian must complete a minor consent form. A parent or legal guardian must also accompany you when you appear in front of the Clerk of Courts title office staff to have a vehicle titled in your name in Ohio if you are a minor.