Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

This is concerning my 16 yr old granddaughter whom we have…

Customer Question
This is concerning my...

This is concerning my 16 yr old granddaughter whom we have adopted. She is registered in home school, but has not done any homework in quite a while. She thinks she can do what ever she wants. Refuses to clean her room, thinks she doesn't have to do anything to help. When I tell her she can't do something, she says "we will see" and shows me she will do what she wants. Know know what to do with her.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Her mom is not a good influence, has been in and out of jail. Almost died in March from bad drugs. Mom is doing ok now. Don't want her to follow in her mom and sister's steps. The dad is my son, he lives here and he and she do not get along. He doesn't want her to be like her mom. We have taken her phone and car right now. She left last wk to be gone for a night but was gone for 4 days. Did stay in touch with me. Came home on Sunday, we were trying to talk to her, she has a very smart mouth. Her dad spanked her, she slipped out and left. Called me to tell me she was ok but would not say where she was. Came home Wednesday night, laid up all day yesterday. Her room is a mess, told me she would do it later. Done gone this morning to her mom's. Suppose to come home tonight. Thinks she don't have to mind her dad either. Wont listen to me.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/17/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, she is testing you and seems like she is winning. You need to start with getting her into therapy to find out what the underlying mental health issue is that is causing this rebellious and self destructive behavior. If therapy does not work and you simply cannot control her, then you can seek to put her in a restrictive type of military boarding school if possible. The final option though I am sorry to say is to take the matter to the court as an unruly and uncontrollable minor and the court can actually order her to be made a ward of the state and placed in foster care where they can force her to act in accordance to their rules.

Sorry to say those are really your only options.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer