Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am trying to get the last of his finances I had paid 450…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to get the last of his finances I had paid 450 to the courts in Sacramento and was told I did not have the proper paperwork. I filled out the forms submitted and I was never given a written letter stating the issues. I had to go in and find out on the website what was taking so long. I am not sure what I need to do in order to receive the letters of testamentary since the funds are about to be escheated

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Sorry California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I can't afford a lawyer that is why I tried to do myself if I would have known that was going to be such a difficult resolution I may have been able to get someone to draw up docs instead of wasting the money for nothing

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I supplied the necessary information on the form along with his death certificate and my birth certificate. There is no property involved just a cash settlement less than $3000

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/17/2017
Family Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I understand your frustration. Are you able to the court in person to speak with the court clerk?

No I live in Texas
They will not give any legal advise I tried when I was there 7 years ago
If the funds are escheated what is the process then? Do I have to submit the same documentation? I got funds from this company before with just the death certificate and my birth certificate and now they will not release the last account funds which are not as much as the others were. It is about 2500.

That makes it tougher because you are not nearby. Also, now you mentioned it has been 7 years. But it is not legal advice you are asking. You are only asking what papers are missing that they need. Usually, the clerk's office will inform of what papers are missing. If escheat you would still have to go through the same process and additional steps.

Ely, Counselor at Law