Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My late husband had a pension with resilient floor covering…

Customer Question
Hi My late...

Hi My late husband had a pension with resilient floor covering trust. I am the only one eligible for his Death benefits,but in the divorce papers he made me not eligible. Is there any way to Delete the pension out of the divorce papers? The pension is worth $3000.00 a month to me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am not smart but could use the Money.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/17/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm a little confused about your situation. You mentioned that the divorce papers made you ineligible for the benefit; however, can I assume that your husband didn't make the change on the death benefit. Is that correct?

but the divorce papers says I can not clame benifets past present or future I did not know how lukative the benifets were at the time I signed

I see what you mean. Unfortunately, if this is what was agreed to and ordered by the court, then you'll have no interest in the benefit payments. However, if this was a mistake, you always have two options. The first option is to petition the court to advise them that the order is inaccurate. This will be difficult to prove, but if you have emails, text messages, or some other agreement that shows that you were entitled to the benefits, the court can award them to you. The other thing you could do is just let the company pay out the benefits to you and not tell anyone or do anything about it. If he has other beneficiaries who know about this, they may come after you for that amount; however, if they do not care or if they do not know, then you won't have anything to worry about. What other questions did you have for me today?