Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I attended court ordered mediation and an agreement was

Customer Question
I attended court ordered...

I attended court ordered mediation and an agreement was settled at this mediation for family court. I was not informed of the court date for an entry hearing by either the court or the opposing attorney. Things were added to the final order that were not in the mediated agreement. I was pro se. How do i get befoer the judge again.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the court order was issued in?

Texas.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I cannot afford one. No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This began as a petition to modify sapcr by me.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/16/2017
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", "where is my answer", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

How long ago did the judge sign the final order?

The 10th of this month
Can you call me? The app won't take my phone number correctly. It is(###) ###-####

I don't participate in the telephone Service. However, you will likely get an email from the website asking about a phone call. If you accept that then it will send it to me, I'll then send it to the queue and another expert can pick up, if any are online that do the phone calls.

In the meantime, I'll keep working here so you basically get two experts for the same price.

You have thirty days if this was not in JP or small claims court to file a Motion for New Trial or a Motion to Vacate Judgment. Even though there wasn't a trial, a Motion for New Trial is what you call this type of document.

In it you would explain the problems to the judge, I would list them out in a numbered list, and then file the original and take three extra copies with you to get the file stamped. Send one to the other side by certified mail, return receipt requested and keep the other two.

You will also want to ask that a hearing be set on the matter. Just filing a motion doesn't do anything except let the judge know there is an issue. You have to have a hearing and then get an order signed to have any effect.

Also, you can use the mediated settlement agreement as an exhibit but you can't call the mediator as a witness. If you do, they can't testify to anything except "we had a mediation and reached an agreement".

You also want to mention that you didn't receive notice of the hearing on the entry of judgment.

JD 1992
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer