Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

As part of my divorce decree I was ordered to pay for and…

Customer Question
As part of my...

As part of my divorce decree I was ordered to pay for and maintain the family home. after a $25,000 lien was put on the home via an action of the ex, I no longer wanted to keep the home, I tried to sell it and could not with the lien. I also could not short sell the home and could not do that either. Home was foreclosed on 5 years ago. Could I still be held in contempt? If so, how could I remedy this with no home to pay for?

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?

Wisconsin and no contempt paperwork has been filed. I filed a modification of child support (court date 1/4/2018) and now he has told the kids that he is going to make sure I serve jail time for contempt as he does not want to pay any more child support.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Only the modification of child support order has been filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Thank you

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/17/2017
Family Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear that. I am very doubtful that you would be held in contempt when the lien was put on the home due to an act of your ex. I would simply petition the court first for permission to sell the home.

This allows you to be proactive before he begins filing frivolous motions.