Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

As part of my divorce decree I was ordered to pay for and…

Customer Question
As part of my...

As part of my divorce decree I was ordered to pay for and maintain the family home. after a $25,000 lien was put on the home via an action of the ex, I no longer wanted to keep the home, I tried to sell it and could not with the lien. I also could not short sell the home and could not do that either. Home was foreclosed on 5 years ago. Could I still be held in contempt? If so, how could I remedy this with no home to pay for?

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?

Wisconsin and no contempt paperwork has been filed. I filed a modification of child support (court date 1/4/2018) and now he has told the kids that he is going to make sure I serve jail time for contempt as he does not want to pay any more child support.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Only the modification of child support order has been filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Thank you

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/17/2017
Family Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear that. I am very doubtful that you would be held in contempt when the lien was put on the home due to an act of your ex. I would simply petition the court first for permission to sell the home.

This allows you to be proactive before he begins filing frivolous motions.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer