FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

I have a post divorce question. Is my ex wife legally

Customer Question

I have a post divorce question. Is my ex wife legally obligated to buy out my portion of the home equity?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The divorce decree states she had 120 days to refi or the home would be placed for sale. Neither has happened this was 2 years ago
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. No, she is not obligated, unless it is court ordered. In a situation like this, you can present to her that option or take her back to court and seek to hold her in contempt, for failing to comply with the court order. If the 120 days have past and she has failed to act, you can take her back to court. If she is unable or does not want to refi the home, the Judge can order and force the sale of the home, so you can get the money which you are entitled to.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!