Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If a parent does not pay child support and is behind over…

Customer Question
If a parent does...

If a parent does not pay child support and is behind over $2500, do they still get visitation rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arkansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes, but not getting a response.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/16/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, a person's visitation rights aren't going to be cut off for the failure to pay child support. Only the court could remove someone's ability to see the child. You may want to consider filing for a modification of the parent child relationship and request that until the child support is paid, that they no longer be able to see the child or be able to see them less. Otherwise, you'll have to still comply with the court order. What other questions did you have for me?

When they get $2500 behind, will a warrant be filed for their arrest?

It's possible; however, the court will usually give them a chance to pay back before they do that. But nonetheless, it is always on the table and I have known individuals who have gone to jail as a result. Did you have any other questions for me?

The boys are aged 15 and 17. Are they required to go if they do not want to go? Undesirable home situation with the mother.

Yes, unfortunately, like any child, even if they do not want to go, they must still go unless the court orders otherwise. I'm very sorry. What other questions did you have for me?