Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I want to adopt my nephew. I have had legal custody of him…

Customer Question
I want to adopt...

I want to adopt my nephew. I have had legal custody of him for the past 8 years. He is turning 18 and my health insurance will no longer cover him unless I adopt him.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/16/2017
Family Lawyer: Longhorn Lawyer, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Longhorn Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question and to prepare a response.

OK, so what are your questions?

What do I need to do to start the adoption process? Should I just wait until he turns 18 and then add him back to my health insurance after that.

Are his biological parents in agreement that you can adopt the child?