Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am exploring options of suing my exwifes boy friend for…

Customer Question
I am exploring options...

I am exploring options of suing my exwifes boy friend for alienation of affection. The divorce was finalized in June and she admitted cheating on me during the marriage several times. The guys doesn't have much money, but if I could get a judgement against him, I would be happy.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

SD

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I consulted with a lawyer one time back in April, I did not use a lawyer during the divorce settlement.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The divorce settlement was pretty lopsided in my favor. I'm not sure if that would affect my chances of success on a AOF suit.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/16/2017
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

The thing about Alienation of Affection (AOA) suits is that the plaintiff has to prove that the affair was the cause of the breakup of an otherwise happy and intact marriage and that the 3rd party lured the spouse away from a happy marriage. They are difficult to win simply because is the unfaithful spouse claims that the marriage was already broken and on the way to divorce, it is tough to prove it wasn't.

.

This ends up pulling friends, family and acquaintances into the case to testify about what they saw and thought the status of the marriage was and gets sticky.

.

They are also extremely expensive to pursue because of the nature of proving something so much in the grey area.

.

But can you sue him for AOA?.... sure if you are prepared to spend the money and time to do so and have lots of personal and private details about your life made public..

.

That is why there are very few of them...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much