Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What to do when the father keep threatening to take baby…

Customer Question
What to do when the...
What to do when the father keep threatening to take baby away, because the baby's mother doesn't want to be with him anymore?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/16/2017
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about this situation.

The parents need to work out a formal parental time sharing agreement with a family court judge.

Are they married or in the process of getting a divorce? If so, the custody agreement can be worked out during the divorce process.

Even if they are not married or divorcing, the baby's mother can still file a petition with the family court in order to get an official order on time sharing, which would make sure there are rules that must be followed by order of the court concerning when the father can have the baby, where those visits will take place, etc.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!