Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My two sisters have guardianship of my Down's Syndrome

Customer Question
My two sisters have...

My two sisters have guardianship of my Down's Syndrome brother who lived with our mother and myself. After Mom was diagnosed with cancer and placed in an Assisted Living facility, my sisters, without consulting me, left him in my care for a period of ten months with extremely little help, even when greatly needed and requested. It was my mother's intent, and belief, that accepting guardianship meant accepting physical care, etc., as well. I am wondering whether it would be possible to sue them for my lost wages during the time I cared for him. I did receive a certain wage from an agency, for same, but it was it was essentially half of what I could have made in my profession as a registered nurse.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/15/2017
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

I am wondering whether it would be possible to sue them for my lost wages during the time I cared for him.

.

Unfortunately, I don't think you would have grounds here.. The guardians job is to make sure that care is provided for the ward...which is what they did.. They stuck you with the job of doing so.. You could have refused and called social services and the court and reported that you were unwilling/unable to provide case and they were breaching their legal duty to brother as his guardians.

.

But if you accepted the job, at less than you could have earned, then that was your choice, although somewhat forced. It would have been up to you to say "No" and then they would have had to hire someone to come in and care for brother or place him in a group home or care facility.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much