Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My granddaughter would like to change her first and middle…

Customer Question
My granddaughter would like...

My granddaughter would like to change her first and middle name

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your granddaughter taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?

No but I would rather deal with an attorney.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is she in?

Sacto calif.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been raising her since she was 3 plus years old and she is now 17

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/15/2017
Family Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
If you are the child’s guardian and she wants to change her name, you will have to start by filing a Petition for Change of Name. You will then get a court date and you will have to let her parents know about your petition and about the court date for the petition. If her parents do not agree to changing her name, they have the right to oppose your request.
If the judge approves your request, you will get a court order called a "decree" changing the child's name. The court process can take up to 3 months, though in busier courts it may take longer.
You will need to complete the following forms, Petition for Change of Name (Form NC-100), including the Attachment to Petition for Change of Name (Form NC-110) and Supplemental Attachment to Petition for Change of Name (Declaration of Guardian) (Form NC-110G). You need 1 attachment and 1 supplemental attachment for each child whose name you want to change.
Order to Show Cause for Change of Name (Form NC-120).
Civil Case Cover Sheet (Form CM-010).
Here is a link to the forms.
http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc100.pdf
I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question.