Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am going through court to make my sons fathers visitation…

Customer Question
I am going through...

I am going through court to make my sons fathers visitation supervised. My sons fathers attorney withdrew 3 days before the court date because the father refused to pay him and threatened him. The magistrate granted a continuance to the father. How is this okay when he is the one that lost the lawyer by refusing to pay him?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And to clarify, can you tell me what paperwork has been filed?

I'm not exactly sure

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes, I have a lawyer. I am in need of a second opinion

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Was the magistrate allowed to do this?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/15/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

What state is this in regards ***** *****?

Ohio
Hamilton county

Unfortunately a magistrate may allow a continuance and will typically do so if the party does not have legal representation. Rule 1.2 allows for continuances for good cause and lack of legal representation is one of the most common grounds unless the court finds the person engaged in activity with the express purpose of delaying the hearing/trial. But that requires the party alleging that to prove it and intent is difficult to prove. I certainly wish I had better news as continuances can be a frustrating delay tactic. Normally subsequent requests will be denied.

http://www.hamiltoncountyohio.gov/UserFiles/Servers/Server_3788196/File/Government/Courts/Court%20of%20Domestic%20Relations/Local%20Rules/LOCRULES%20Local%20Rules%20Domestic%20Relations.pdf

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer