Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a RMC on December 11 and I think I may need a lawyer.

Customer Question
I have a RMC...

I have a RMC on December 11 and I think I may need a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I'm in Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't know if I can afford one

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/15/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Hello; what is your question please?

Hello
I have a RCM conference meeting on the 11 of December and I think I may need a lawyer present... I'm trying to modify the divorce decree and get partial custody of my son's...I am employed and I already signed up for child support

I'm not sure if I am clear on your legal question -did you have a specific question on child support?

No not that specifically... I'm just wondering what's going to take place at this meeting and what exactly do I need to bring and what should I expect to take place

Thank you;

The conference typically takes 2-3 hours and normally the parties and their attorneys will appear before either the judge or a family case manager, depending on the local rules. The aim is to see what issues can be settled by stipulation (agreement) via a rule 69 agreement (these are binding) and what issues are still in dispute. They may attempt to see if a resolution can be reached at the conference. They may issue temporary orders if the parties agree to them. If there are still outstanding issues the court may schedule evidentiary hearings, order evaluations (ie in cases of substance abuse, for example) and other "housekeeping" issues- basically setting a timeline of events.

It is best to have an attorney to ensure a person does not enter a rule 69 if it is not in their best interests. The idea of the conference is to settle whatever issues are agreed upon, rather than having the court hold a trial on that issue.

Some attorneys will work as "limited scope representation" meaning they can be hired to do a review of the case and attend the conference. That is a low cost alternative to full representation.

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/SuperiorCourt/FamilyCourt/Services/EarlyResolutionConference/index.asp

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Ok so basically we'll be trying to come to an agreement of some sort

Yes, on as many issues as possible where both parties are satisfied.

It is an attempt to keep the process as non-adversarial as possible.