Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm getting married in Las Vegas on December 8. I am an

Customer Question
I'm getting married in...

I'm getting married in Las Vegas on December 8. I am an Oregon resident and I am officially divorced for almost 15 years. However, my spouse to be was divorced in California but due to the backlog in the courts, while the papers have been filed months and months ago, they keep delaying the actual finalization. It was supposed to be today, and he just found out that once again the courts are too busy to be finalizing divorces. So just on the OFF CHANCE that within the next three weeks the California courts are still sitting on their thumbs, what happens if we still go to Las Vegas and still get our marriage license and still have a legit ceremony? Spending my married life in jail doesn't sound like a good idea. But if we go ahead with this, what would the ramifications be? Could we make the Nevada marriage legal by petitioning after the California courts wake up and grant the divorce? Or is our Nevada marriage null and void (if not criminal...)?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I'm free and clear. His divorce papers have been filed in California since April and six months later in October he finds out how far behind the courts are. It's now November and they are still not finalized.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I live in Oregon - he lives in California.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just what the cost is going to be?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Family Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Okay - it's worth knowing.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/15/2017
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, you can not obtain a valid license to marry anywhere in the US until the dissolution is signed in CA.

The marriage will be void.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels and breaking the law.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.