Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter has been divorced from her ex for seven years.

Customer Question
My daughter has been...

My daughter has been divorced from her ex for seven years. She has her three sons (very supportive) 21, 24 and 15 liviing with her at their home.The home is deeded to both of them, but the husband met another girl a nd is living with her at her home. He only is paying the mortgage at my daughter,s house -no alimony, not even child support for the youngest still in school..He claims that he has the authority to kick her and the boys out within 30 days. The problem is that we have proof that

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in ND family court?

Not that we are aware of. However, we have uncovered proof that he has changed legal documents to favor him. He has the capability to do this.My daughter is ons disability due to a back injury. The boys are trying to help financially but only have menial jobs and go to school. He,however makes a six-figure income. He is a serial cheater, liar and has a criminal past in Volusia and Seminole cty.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?

Yes. But it seems his lawyer is very powerful in this city (Daytona) and in so-called mediation ate her lawyer for breakfast. My daughter has very little resources to fight this criminal and was forced to let her lawyer go. Now she is trying to find help. Can he put her out???

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There are many things- but the main issue is how can she fiind someone to help her prove this injustice. He is very clever and taunts her daily with texted threats.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/15/2017
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

What does the final decree say about the house in the division of property?

Was your daughter awarded spousal and child support?

The original decree gave my daughter the house un til the youngest child was 18. He is only 15 and in high school. After that they would discuss selling the house and dividing the proceeds. She has custody of the sons but he came back briefly and talked her into dropping child support with the premise that he would stay and take care of them. In the meantime he took a signed agreement that he doctored to look like she agreed to give him everything. Why would a woman alone, no money, no job with three kids agree to that??? Does that make sense. As a result, she gets no alimony, no child support and was offered $25,000. to leave so he could m ,ove back in with his girlfriend.

Was any modification order ever signed by a judge?

No. NOTHING WAS SIGNED AT THE MODIFICATION. MY DAUGHTER REFUSED THEIR OFFER. NOTHING HAS BEEN SIGNED TO OUR KNOWLEDGE BY A JUDGE. BUT HER EX CONTINUES TO SAY HE HAS A COURT ORDER. WE HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS.
IN ADDITION, HE TEXTED HER THAT HE IS SENDIING REAL ESTATE PEOPLE TO THE HOUSE TO GET AN APPRAISAL.

Thank you for the additional information and your patience.

Your daughter needs to file a motion in the family court to enforce the standing decree, which has the effect of a court order.

If her ex is refusing to pay the ordered support he can be held in contempt and subject to sanction, such as fees, penalties and even jail.

Likewise, if he filed forged documents that is something else the court will come down on him about. Also, any forged document he filed is void.

If her attorney is not effectively representing her then she may need a new attorney. It is certainly likely that the court will force the ex to pay her attorney fees if she shows them his misconduct.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Also, The Florida Bar maintains an excellent online referral program:

FLORIDA BAR ATTORNEY REFERRAL

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer