Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What is the first step to getting married in Maryland?

Customer Question
What is the first...

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/15/2017
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Loren, Lawyer
The first step is getting a marrige license. The application process for a marriage license in Maryland differs from one county to another, but as a rule of thumb, the bride and groom are required to present identification documents and prove they are of legal age before submitting their application. To get married in Maryland, both parties need to be over 18 years old.The good news is that it only takes about 15 minutes to apply for a marriage license in Maryland. You need to apply for a marriage license at least 48 hours before the ceremony. Below is a list with the documents and other legal requirements usually necessary to submit your application:Full name and residence of both parties
Age of each party demonstrable with birth certificates
Social Security numbers for both parties
Divorce dates if either party was previously married
A license fee that varies according to county.
Next, you need to think about who will perform the ceremony in front of your family and friends. In Maryland, marriage ceremonies can be performed by an ordained minister of a religious order, a judge, a clerk or a deputy clerk designated by the county administrative circuit court judge.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!