Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

A parent that was not married to his son's mother would like

Customer Question
A parent that was not...
A parent that was not married to his son's mother would like to create parenting time/joint custody
JA: What steps has the parent taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?
Customer: The problem is the father lives in Ga, and the child is in MI.
JA: Family law varies by state. What state is he in?
Customer: Father in GA, son in MI.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: In the process of getting the child legitimized.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 month ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

Is the mother in agreement with the father's proposal? Are all the times already worked out? Or, does she disagree to do this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing has been worked out yet. When should the petition be filed, in Ga or MI
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where should it be filed?

MI. The jurisdiction for custody under the state-adopted UCCJEA falls under into MI, since this is where the child lives. The reference is UNIFORM CHILD-CUSTODY JURISDICTION AND ENFORCEMENT ACT Act 195 of 2001.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law