Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am helping someone who just had a termination of parental…

Customer Question
I am helping someone...

I am helping someone who just had a termination of parental rights. We were told DSS would send paperwork within 30 days of the trial and that it would give us the option for appeal. However, we have not received anything. Is this information correct?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I guess not... we weren't sure we could file anything.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, the issue for not meeting the DSS requirements was transportation. Since the trial and TPR the father has completed parenting classes, behavioral health classes, etc, because I intervened and helped with the transportation. We just don't know the process or what we need to do next given we have yet to receive anything from DSS and the trial was in September.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/14/2017
Family Lawyer: Seattle Scott, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Seattle Scott

The deadline to appeal is usually 30 days from the final signed and entered findings, conclusions and termination order. I suspect the judge made a verbal ruling at the end of trial that the DSS lawyer needs to convert into a written order for the judge to sign. So what you have is a judge's decision but not an appeal-able order yet.

Ok great. So, however we need to be ready to appeal once the written order comes. What is the time line for an appeal? Does this last months or days?

An appeal takes months - up to a year to conclude. Unlike a trial judge, The appeal court judge's don't make a decision at the conclusion of the appeal hearing - a written ruling or "opinion" is issued a few months later.

An appeal is heard by 3 judges and it takes 2 of them to agree on the ruling so it is not a "fast" process. Also it can be expensive since the appealing party has to pay for all the trial testimony to be transcribed into a written record and then this is filed with the court of appeals.