Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In New York City, do divorced parents with 50/50 custody…

Customer Question
In New York City...

In New York City, do divorced parents with 50/50 custody need a notarized document telling the times and dates they intend to take their child out of the country? Someone told me this but I cannot find the law.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have they taken? Have they filed any papers in NY family court?

No, they have been divorced for 10 years, but this was never addressed. Just wondering what the actual law says? Does each parent need written permission from the other?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No. There was never a problem about it before, but now they are fighting about sending her on a teen tour to a dangerous place out of the country. They disagree that she is too young , not a good decision maker, history of lying etc. But the mother has taken her out of the country before without written permission from the father.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. I really just want to know what the actual law says regarding this matter.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/14/2017
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 10 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

The New York family code does not require this.

If there are no passports and passports are needed, the other parent has to sign off on the application(s) for the passport(s) for the minor(s) in most cases; or

If passports are not the issue, then a permission letter is NOT REQUIRED by the Customs and Border Protection, but, is recommended.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.