Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Custody - Family Law question. I am the father of a 7 year…

Customer Question
Custody - Family Law...

Custody - Family Law question.I am the father of a 7 year old, I had full custody til Aug 2015 then 60 % til July 2017 and now
we are in the court system again.
My daughters mother is and addicted, alcoholic. Chronic alcoholic who needs a 1/5 of vodka to start the day. She is on her 2nd felony for possession and is in drug court. This year alone she has been in detox 7 times, jail 4 times and 4-5 rehabs.
I took her to court in July
The court stated visitation of a two after schools and one weekend day
She had a brief window of sobriety or was at least able to stay out of jail.
We entered in to mediation and the mediator eally gave her a lot of time . She went from 11% visitation with no over nights to nearly 50% with multiple overnights.
Now she has an attorney and wants more custody.
THE PROBLEM
She is drunk everyday and drives Ava drunk.
Her husband called me to tell me this.
I stepped in and my daughter knows she can no longer drive anywhere with her mom.
Mom has a breathalyzer attached to one of her cars , but never ever uses that car because she is always drunk.
We return to court January 24I would like to go back to the court order of the after school and day visits until we get back to court.
Is the court order from the July 12th initial hearing the rule of law ( wrong term )
Should I call Child Protection ??

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Yes we are in the middle of the proceeding

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thats all

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/14/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. You could contact child protective services in this situation. You should explain clearly that you have reason to believe that she is using alcohol, specifically vodka, on the daily basis. You should also explain that she is driving the child drunk as well. All of the previous issues may end up playing a part, but CPS is there to help keep the child out of immediate danger. Her past drug issues may not make a difference. CPS may ask you what your ultimate goal is inthe end, so be sure that you have a place where your daughter can stay in case she is removed from the home so she does not end up in foster care unwittingly. What other questions did you have for me?