Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

The mother of my daughter is getting ready to move out of…

Hello the mother of...

Hello the mother of my daughter is getting ready to move out of state how can I start a perternity test without hiring a lawyer first?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes I have but I haven't been able to come up with the money he is wanting because of multiple things coming up

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm not on the birth certificate and I have only seen her 3 times since Aug 26

11/14/2017
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. The Kansas Department for Children and Families offers genetic testing at no cost to either of you. If the test comes back positive, then they'll establish child support. You'll then be able to go to court and seek shared custody/visitation. If she's planning to move in the next couple of weeks, you probably won't get a response before that. The other option is to go to the local family court and file:
    Petition to Establish PaternityEmergency Motion to Prohibit Relocation
To get the order that she can't move, you'll have to be able to establish that there's a strong likelihood you will win the case, and that the child is likely to suffer if the mother is allowed to move away. This site has the forms to request a paternity order.https://www.kansaslegalservices.org/node/1847/kansas-paternity-action

The motion isn't one that the courts make available for free online, but if you can get to a law library, you can review books that will show you how to draft it without a lawyer.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Where do you suggest I start

That depends on how soon she's moving. If you have months, you might want to call the state first to see how long it takes to get paternity test results.

If she's moving soon and your primary goal is to stop her, the first step is to fill out the paternity forms and write a motion to stop her from relocating.