Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My current girlfriend was 13 when she met a man who was 20.

Customer Question
My current girlfriend was...

My current girlfriend was 13 when she met a man who was 20. He would kiss her and they would touch privates. When she was 15 and he was 22 he brought her to a car park and had anal sex with her telling her it was normal. They were obviously also having regular sex. In my view this is rape and molestation. However she was charmed by this man and went on to marry him and have 2 kids. They are now divorced and 3 years later he is still being a bully to her on the phone. Anyway. I️ want to know if he can be held accountable for his actions even though she went on to marry him. Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

It was in NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

How old is the car??

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing filed or reported

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/14/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened. Legally, you are correct. The age of consent in North Carolina is 16, so anything that happened before that is child molestation and rape. There is no statute of limitations for felony rape in North Carolina. It is still possible to report him. Whether police will choose to investigate in light of the fact that they later got married is completely up to them. They might, because her consent to marriage was tainted by all the things he did to her when she was 13-16. There are no guarantees that police will pursue it, and she could lie, claiming they didn't have sex until she was old enough (unless one of the kids was born while she was under the age of 16). Take that into consideration, because if she really sees their relationship as a love story and not abuse, she might be upset that you reported him. Less of an issue if he winds up in jail where he belongs, but a lot will depend on her cooperation. If you have any reason to believe that he is still molesting young children, you can report that to the police immediately. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Thank you. I️ have told her that I️ was asking a lawyer and she is ok with that. She has also asked a detective at one stage so she has flirted with the idea of perusing it.

That's good to know. That makes it more likely that she'll cooperate.

It is unfortunately too late for her to pursue civil damages against him, so this is the way to go. I hope things work out.

Do you have any other questions about this?