Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Unwed parents living in different states. no custody

Customer Question
Unwed parents living in...

Unwed parents living in different states. no custody agreement threw court. child had been living primarily in one home for close to 2 years. would that parent have sole custody until the state would deem otherwise ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has the parent taken? Have they filed any papers in family court?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Child lives in California

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I'm aware of

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/14/2017
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Is the father on the birth certificate?

.

.

thanks

would that parent have sole custody until the state would deem otherwise ?

.

Legally, if there is no custody order in place from the courts, if the father is on the birth certificate, then both parents have exactly equal custodial rights to the child. What that means is that whoever has the child can legally do so and neither parent could force the other to surrender custody to them.

.

In order to establish a formal custody schedule, one parent would have to file a paternity case in court to have a judge declare legal paternity and set up a formal schedule.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer