Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I would like to know what age a child can be considered

Customer Question
Hi, I would like...

Hi, I would like to know what age a child can be considered mature enough to present his opinion, 10 years, 12 years or 16 years

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Ontario, Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet, I want to know brief information

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My kid visits his dad alternative weekend. His dad does not bring him to his activity's game especially he is on competitive level. My kid feels upset and I am looking for the solution.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/13/2017
Family Lawyer: Sue, Family Law Attorney replied 8 months ago
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, welcome to the site. I’m here to help you today. I am a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I’d like to review your question and perhaps do some research for a few minutes, type your answer and then I’ll be right back.

Sue

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Most judges will be interested in the child's point of view starting at age 10.

However, given what you've described, you may not need your child's opinion: most judges will frown on a parent who fails to take a child to his regularly scheduled activities, especially if the child is competitive.

Did the father object to the child's participating in this activity at any time prior to your separation/divorce?

Did he take your child to the activity before, or participate materially, like team parent or coach?

I ask because if there is this sort of behavioral change, the courts will readily see that as retributive and frown on that even more.

You can file a motion to ask for an order that the father take your child to this activity, or to allow you to take the child to the activity on the father's weekends, if you'd prefer.

Sue