Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My question is about how or what do i need to do to try and…

Customer Question
Good morning, my name...

Good morning, my name is***** my question is about how or what do i need to do to try and serve someone court papers if their whereabouts are unknown. I am about to go through an adoption to adopt my wife's biological children. We have been married 10 years and she has full custody. The biological father has not been seen or in the kids lives in over 12 years. I reside in Artesia, NM. Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in NM family court?

Good morning, my name is***** and I live in Artesia,NM. My question is what my options are in trying to serve court papers to someone when their whereabouts are unknown. I am about to go through an adoption to adopt my wife's biological kids, age 16 and 18. My wife and I have been married 10 years, she has full custody, and the biological father has not been seen or heard from in over 12 years

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No have not talked to a lawyer, and I have already filed the petition papers.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The last time the biological father had been contacted he was in jail

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/13/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Ok thank you sir.

You would need to do a diligent search here.You can do a skip check here, looking for him.Once you have tried and failed you would motion the court for alternate service either by mail or publication or both.Court will look to see if you made such efforts.

Okay thank you very much

You are so welcome thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.It was my pleasure to help you today.