Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a 19 year old student who lives with me. Can I get…

Customer Question
I have a 19...

I have a 19 year old student who lives with me. Can I get legal custody of her for insurance purposes?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has the student taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?

No. she oved in with me with her parent consent. her father is deceased

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is she in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been taking care of her medical needs. her mother does not have health insurance for her. I have health coverage and would like to add her

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/13/2017
Family Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 8 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

The student is over 18 so legal custody is not an option. The student is considered an adult. You could attempt to do an adoption. Would you like more information on adult adoptions?

If I adopt her, can I resolve the adoption once she graduates?

I am not sure what you mean by resolve the adoption. What do you mean?