Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Will this help with alimony or retirement payments and

Customer Question
Will this help with...

Will this help with alimony or retirement payments and insurances

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Well currently I live in Texas and he lives in Idaho and I would like to move back to Idaho but want to file in the best plav place

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I don't think so. He is retired army and we have been married 13 years and he retired 11 years after we were married

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/13/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Since you were married for more than 10 years of his service, you're entitled to a portion of his military retirement account. You're also about to file a Motion for Temporary Support, which includes both a request that he pay you a monthly amount and that he also continue to provide insurance for you during the divorce. If the two of you have minor children, that's also when the judge will decide temporary custody and child support.

Because your husband lives in Idaho, that's where the case would be filed. A Texas judge wouldn't have authority to tell him to pay you alimony if the two of you never lived there together while married.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?