Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Is it the duty of the one who officiated my wedding to file…

Customer Question
Is it the duty...

Is it the duty of the one who officiated my wedding to file my marriage license??

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arkansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well we got married and our llicense has never been filed

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/12/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

There is no requirement as to which party has the resonsiblity of filing the license with the court clerk other than doe 9-11-217 which requires the official to duly sign and return the license to the married couple at the time of services, and failure to comply with that requirement is a misdemeanor that may be fined $500 per occassion.

So presumably the couple has the responsiblity of filing the license although the statute does not specifically state that.

The license is to be filed within 60 days.

In Fryar v. Roberts, 346 Ark. 432, 57 S.W.3d 727 (2001), the court determined that the failure to file the license does not deem the parties unmarried; the wedding is still legally valid.

I hope this helps!

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: