Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was physically threatened at the school bus by another…

I was physically threatened...

I was physically threatened at the school bus by another parent is there anything i can do

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has the parent taken? Have they filed any papers in family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Brittany

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The threat of violence was made in front of my children who have been traumatized by it

11/12/2017
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this; was this reported to law enforcement?

no i did not call the police

OK; thank you; They will still take a report especially if there were witnesses. The reason this is important is because if there is a criminal conviction the court can take "judicial notice" of that conviction, meaning the plaintiff in a civil suit suing for monetary damages need to prove the event happened-the court will assume it did.

The victim can sue for medical bills, pain and suffering, even punitive damages designed to punish the defendant.

The victim can also seek a protective order whereby the offender cannot contact the victim and must remain a certain distance away. There are advocates that will usually assist with this at the clerk's office.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer