Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If my ex has emergency/temporarily won sole physical

Customer Question
Hi--if my ex has...

Hi--if my ex has emergency/temporarily won sole physical custody, but not legal...she attempted suicide and got judge to think it was because of me..and we are pending a trial, while waiting for the trial, (and there is no emergency protection order)--1..can I still call her? He has blocked me from calling her at the hospital and seeing her. Lied to staff and said he had a protection order..and 2..since I still have jt legal custody, he can't block me from participating in the family meeting with social workers and talking to her docs can he?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Az

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes--not hired yet--little income

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That I have been the primary custodian her whole life...he has evaded giving me any w2 over last 10 years to adjust child support..I finally got a lawyer to force that, turns out he's making triple what he did...and now all this--hes asking for child support from me..a 22 year disabled vet with very limited income..can he take some of my disability? between he and new wife they make over 250k a year..I bring in 40k

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/12/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your questions?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience.

1. Yes, you can still call her unless the court has ordered you otherwise. If there is a protection order, and the protection order prohibits you from calling her, then you won't want to call her because you could be fined or imprisoned.

2. Generally, you can't be barred if you have joint legal custody; however, the terms of the protection order will likely override the terms of the custody order. You may need to get clarification from the judge before doing anything because the sheriff's department will probably arrest you and then get clarification.

What other questions did you have for me?

Ely, Counselor at Law