Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My fiancé (divorcee) and I (widowed) hold Indian passports.

Customer Question
My fiancé (divorcee) and...

My fiancé (divorcee) and I (widowed) hold Indian passports. She is a green card holder has a house in Atlanta.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No.this is question regarding our wedding in Atlanta. We are currently working and live in Africa. we would of like to know if we are eligible to get married in Atlanta.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can provide any info. That the lawyer may wish to know.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/12/2017
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Is that is her home, and that is where she resides normally, then yes, she would be a resident there and could get a marriage license issued by the clerks in the county where she lives so the marriage could occur there.

.

From the GA Court website:

,.

What You Should Know:

• When you arrive at the court, you'll need your driver's license, passport, or birth certificate. If your identifying documents are printed in a language other than English, you'll need to hire a notary to type a certified translation.
  • If you've been married before, you'll need to present to the court your divorce decree.
  • Marriage license fees vary by county, and some counties require payment in cash only. Check the feesat your county probate court.
  • If you don't want to pay the marriage license fee, you can earn a premarital education program certificate — a 6-hour class that reviews basic marriage lessons such as budgeting and conflict resolution.

.

https://georgia.gov/popular-topic/marriage-licenses

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much