Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wealthy daughter's mother has used lawyers to delay any…

Customer Question
My wealthy daughter's mother has...
My wealthy daughter's mother has used lawyers to delay any visitation for 10 months. She threatened to do things to keep me from "ever seeing my this baby again" a year ago before taking me off the birth certificate and filing for a protective order, which I defeated in court at great expense I can not afford. Now as paternity case kicks off-- after discovery is closing out-- her lawyer asks me to agree to "Social Investigation". This is Florida.Can and should I refuse (insisted he file a motion to the judge), or file a motion that she is vexatious litigant trying to cause further delay and expense while denying me visitation, or file a motion for a social investigation of her and her home (which is sloppy) at her expense?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/12/2017
Family Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 8 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Would you like some detail on what a social investigation entails? This may help you in your decision making.

No-- thank you. I know what a social investigation entails. I'm asking if I must or should agree to the other side asking for one, or if I can refuse and object to it, perhaps based on vexatious or frivolous request to prolong the process and cause expense.Baby's mother had me removed from the birth certificate and falsely accused for an order of protection.

You certainly do not need to agree to Social Investigation. However, an offer of one, is not something that shows a vexatious or frivolous request because it is used mostly to help settle the matter, not prolong it. In any event, you are not required to enter into any agreement that you do not want to do so. Since it appears to you that you have a valid argument you can continue with the case without entering into any agreement regarding the Social Investigation. Do you have any further questions?

Hello. I have not heard back you. Are you still looking for help on your question? If so, please let me know. Thank you.