Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Is it illegal to setup a hidden camera in my house to

Customer Question
monitor a nanny or dog...
Is it illegal to setup a hidden camera in my house to monitor a nanny or dog sitter?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
Am i required by law to inform everyone that comes in my home if i have a hidden camera in my living room?
11/12/2017
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 5 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Response: Yes. You need to post a notice to everyone coming into your home that there is a hidden camera in your home.

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

al those nanny cams that they sell are illegal to use unless the nanny is told about it? What constitutes a posted notice to everyone?
Brinks website statesGenerally speaking, it's legal in the United States to record surveillance video with a hidden camera in your home without the consent of the person you're recording. That's why the use of nanny cams is becoming increasingly common among parents and guardians who work outside their homes during the day. But before you place a hidden camera or nanny cam in your home, it's a good idea to research the laws in your state. For an extra measure of security, you may also want to speak to an attorney about the specific ways you plan to use your camera.One important distinction to keep in mind is the difference between audio recording and video recording. Across the country, the restrictions regarding audio surveillance are a lot tougher (which we'll discuss further later in this piece). In most states, it's illegal to record hidden camera video in areas where your subjects have a reasonable expectation of privacy. In your home, these areas might include bathrooms and bedrooms (if your subject lives with you — as in the case of a live-in nanny).

So al those nanny cams that they sell are illegal to use unless the nanny is told about it?

Response 1: That is correct. In order to tape someone, you have to obtain prior consent. You can obtain this consent by letting the nanny know in your agreement that you may have a hidden camera in the house and by also posting a notice outside your door to let anyone entering the house know that their activities could be recorded because you have a hidden camera in the house.

What constitutes a posted notice to everyone?

Response 2: See my first response.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law