Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How old does a child have to be to stay home alone by

Customer Question
themselves overnight?...
How old does a child have to be to stay home alone by themselves overnight?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/12/2017
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

There are no laws regarding the supervision of your kids and DFCS has guidelines that could help parents determine what is best for their child. According to the Georgia Department of Human Services (DHS), children between the ages of nine and twelve can be left alone for less than two hours and children who are 13 or older can be left alone and perform the role of a babysitter. Children 15 and older can be left home alone overnight, depending on the level of maturity of the child.

Again, these are guidelines -not the law, as there is no law. A child may be younger and be able to stay home overnight alone if they are mature enough, while some 15+ year olds would not be responsible enough to stay home alone overnight.

Was there anything I could clarify for you, or additional information you needed about this matter? If so, please REPLY WITHOUT RATING FIRST, and I'll be happy to help further. Otherwise, if I have fully answered your question, please leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. This is the only way experts like myself are compensated by the site for our time and assistance. Thank you.