Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was wondering if you could tell me how i can get the

Customer Question
I was wondering if...

I was wondering if you could tell me how i can get the message details off of a number on my account. Its in my name and how far can i get them back

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What are my rights as a mother and possibly leaving state if there is nothing filed ywt yet*

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/11/2017
Family Lawyer: Seattle Scott, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Seattle Scott

I am not sure what your question is. Can you give me a little more back ground information.

First question I had was how can I get Text message details of the actual text messages, not just the number and times. The account is in my name and it is my account. Also how far back can I get them? The second issue is my husband and I might be getting a divorce and I am wanting to know what I need to do to be able to leave state if that happens? I have no one in Texas. All my family is up north. I am wanting to know my rights and if there is no divorce or custody filed, can I leave to my dads as long as I tell the father before I actually leave Texas with out getting in trouble for it? I understand I will have to come back, when I am supena for court but in the mean time can I stay at my dads?

I can't answer the text message question - probably post that in a non-legal electricians category.

On the legal question, there is no restriction on where you move to with your child before any court order is issued. There is a uniform law in all the states that determines where child custody jurisdiction lies. The rule is: the court in the state where the child has lived for the past 6 months has jurisdiction over child custody. So if you leave TX and 6 months goes by while you are at your dads in another state, then TX looses jurisdiction. This assumes husband does not start a divorce case in TX during the initial 6 month move.

I can leave though as long as nothing is filed when I leave though? I just have to come back if he files something and I get supena for it right?

That is correct.

getting the text message details is a legal matter, when they called they said I had to talk to a lawyer or an attorney to get them and that they all have a code that I have to get to be able to give them so they can process the request but without that I cant get them.

So you want to see the content of text messages on a phone that is on your account but you don't have possession of?

Right. It is my husbands phone and I am trying to get the details of his text messages.

If the phone company is telling you to get a lawyer if you want to see the text messages on a phone not in your possession, they must mean that you have to get a court order or serve a subpoena for the information served on the phone company. I don't understand the "code" issue involving an attorney. My assumption is that even if husband's phone is on your account, he has an expectation of privacy based on his exclusive use of the phone such that a judge would not give you access and the phone company will not help you without a court order for the same privacy concerns.

Seattle Scott
Seattle Scott
Seattle Scott, Lawyer