Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need advise regarding guardianship in the State of Texas.

I need advise regarding...

I need advise regarding guardianship in the State of Texas. I have a 17 yr. old cameroonian national orphan that is in the US on a 6 month visa extension and I need to get the quickest possible legal guardianship established with his 34 yr old US Citizen biological brother. The in the short term we need it

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

The minor has an immigration attorney that has filed for a VAWA and asylum visas to get him permanency here in the US and ultimately we would need to get guardianship established out to his 18th birthday if reasonably possible.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?

Yes, the minor has an attorney that has already submitted the VAWA and asylum visas. But that attorney is not versed to take on the gaurdianship issue so I am searching for someone in the Dallas TX area to help get this done in an expedited manner.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I dont think so

11/11/2017
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer

hELLO THERE --

In this situation, you must go to the county family court and have the older brother seek guardianship. it is not a difficult process and the family court will have forms available right at the counter. you will need death certificates for the parents to show the court and the older brother will have to appear at the hearing. you should do this as quickly as possible before his 19th birthday. Any local family law attorney can help you with the older brother gaining guardianship if you do not want to do this yourselves. the immigration lawyer cannot help you because family law is a completely different area of the law.

How long does this process for 'Gaurdianship' in Texas typically take?
I have heard that it can take a long time and we really needs something that can be done in a few days.
I have heard that their are other forms of adult custody that would take less time and would be less stringent.... do you know of any options that are easier/quicker if full blow gaurdianship is to time consuming?

HELLO AGAIN --

If you file for the guardianship now, it will take about 6 months in Texas but it is really the only way to go under the circumstances unless you are willing to adopt him -- which can also be done in about 6 months. Guardianship is simpler and you can get the forms at the family court. Adoption is more complicated and you really would need a family law attorney to get the process pushed through faster. tHE ONLY OTHER WAYS WOULD BE TO DECLARE THE YOUNG MAN INCOMPETANT AND THEN THAT WILL MOST SURELY JEAPORDIZE HIS IMMIGRATION STATUS. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO YOU WISH TO PUT THE WORK THAT THE IMMIGRATION LAWYER IS DOING IN JEAPORDY.

-

I WISH I COULD GIVE YOU A QUICK AND EASY WAY TO DO THIS BUT I AM AFRAID THAT GUARDIANSHIP OR ADOPTION ARE THE ONLY VIABLE ANSWERS IN FAMILY COURT. SIX MONTHS IS REALLY NOT A LONG TIME AS FAR AS THE COURTS GO AND THE GUARDIANSHIP WILL PROBABLY BE DONE BEFORE THE IMMIGRATION IS WORKED OUT.

I HOPE THAT HELPS. CAN YOU KINDLY PRESS THE THIRD, FOURTH OR FIFTH STAR BEFORE LEAVING THE WEBSITE SO I WILL BE PAID FOR MY TIME? I AM PAID NOTHING UNLESS YOU PRESS THE THIRD, FOURTH OR FIFTH STAR ABOVE. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Legalease
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer