Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What happens if I go into foreclosure. I don't want to live…

Customer Question
What happens if I...

What happens if I go into foreclosure. I don't want to live in the house anymore. Neighborhood too rough and can't afford the house.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/10/2017
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 7 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Your question is too broad. Kindly be specific with your question.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I can't afford the house.
I don't make enough money to keep paying the notes. I have to move out.

Thank you for the information.

What is your specific question?

Your question is just too broad.

Kindly ask specific questions.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Will I still owe a balance if the foreclosure goes thru?

Thank you for the information.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Your Question:

Response 1: You may responsible for the deficiency after the foreclosure sale. Under GA Code Section 44-14-191, a lender is not entitled to a deficiency judgment after a foreclosure sale unless the lender makes a report of the foreclosure sale to the Court within 30 days after the foreclosure sale for confirmation of the sale, and the sale is actually confirmed by the Court. The Court would not confirm a foreclosure sale unless the Court is satisfied that the foreclosed property brought its true market value. This is a very high hurdle for the lender to overcome. So, when the foreclosure occurs, you need to review the Court records to see what was filed by the lender in your case. If the lender did not file for the confirmation of the sale with the Court within the time required, then you would not be responsible for the deficiency.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law