Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My 16 year old daughter ran away to her non custodial

Customer Question
Hi my 16 year...

Hi my 16 year old daughter ran away to her non custodial parent, she will not return home. non custodial parent is protecting daughter from punishment and discipline. non custodial parent filed for full custody of daughter but i have yet to be served. non custodial parent is over 24k behind in child support arrears and currently 2 months behind on current payments.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have not, i have been trying to get my daughter to return home first, or get the mother to bring her home.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Mother claimed i punched my daughter in the face, CPS and police came and reported she was lying and that she had to follow custody order, she refuses.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/10/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You can file for contempt here.Tough situation she is almost grown , might decide to let it go and let her see how it is with other parent.At least other parent will have to support child for another two years or so.If the child doesn't want to live with you if you got her back no guarantees she wouldn't run here.This is so tough for you as parent you are trying to do the right thing.Tell me what do you want to do here, do you want to file contempt and try to force the return of child?

That exactly how i feel, not sure what to do, just wanted to see what are my options. I also have primary custody of our son whom is about to be 14. he does not want to live with his mother, however she only filed for full custody of our daughter. my dilemma is i know its a bad place for my daughter to be. it all started when she was 15 and had an 18 year old boyfriend whom i forced her to end it with, or so i thought. her mother allowed her to do it and even snuck her over there. all this came to light less than two weeks ago when they lied and said she was with her mother over the weekend but was really at her boyfriends. of course she got in trouble for that and other things that came to light, ditching school, stealing stuff from the house and pawning it ... not to mention the lies. well to escape punishment and discipline she ran to her mother who of course took her with open arms and supported her with all the BS because it is the first time in 11 years our daughter ever wanted to be with her.
They also are claiming physical abuse, however the police made a report saying that was false. so i dont know how that comes into play at court time.

Maybe you let this go awhile, see if mother can deal with her.She might decide to return here , she is almost an adult.Try to get through this period here one way or the other.I mean you could spend $10k in a custody battle but if she wants to live with mo, judge might leave her there.I tend to think you take a wait and see, save your money let mother buy some clothes and food and support her awhile.

Prayers to you , teens can make all your hair fall out here, thanks for rating 5 stars.

What happens with child support, her arrears. if i decide to let her stay.

You can stlil file for contempt yourself and seek judgment for arrears.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer