Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I filed an order to show cause in Queens county family court…

Customer Question
Hello I filed an...

Hello I filed an order to show cause in Queens county family court in NYS to vacate a default obtained by fraud and have the case dismissed. In my papers, I did not request a traverse hearing but one is needed because my client disputes ever being properly serve, on good basis, and the petitioner is still forging ahead despite proof that my client was not served. The Magistrate has not ordered a traverse hearing. Do I file a motion for one. If so, what is the best method

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yes New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I am a lawyer....I understand how to file, etc. This is a little nuance that in researching, your site popped up. So if I can get a quicker response, that is on point, it is worthwhile to use your site.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Are you reading my questions it does not seem that way

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/10/2017
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
You can argue the motion and may prevail on papers. The court often will order traverse on its own if it wants to hear from witnesses. No need for a separate motion.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
NO. I understand that but the Judge is a real piece of colored justice. Though papers are very good and thorough, I would like the court to order a traverse hearing. Since, my initial papers did not specifically ask for one, I want the record to be clear that I have requested one. She will not order one on her own. I have not requested one expecting that she would order one but she did not.
no
You can file a separate motion or ask for it at conference. If concerned judge won’t do it file a separate motion.
You provided a generic answer, which does not help.. I already know the information provided.
what more can I answer for you?
I do not need a generic answer. If it is not necessary to file a seperate motion and the court has not ordered a traverse hearing. I do not expect her to grant an oral request. Should I file a motion prior to the court date, If yes, what is the procedure
I am a lawyer, who filed an OSC TO VACATE A DEFAULT JUDGMENT IN NYS FAMILY COURT BASED ON NY CPLR 5015(a)(3)(4) and dismissing action pursuant to CPLR 3211(a)(8). In my osc, I did not request a traverse hearing and would like to do so now because of who the Judge is. How do I go about doing so. I think the Judge will not entertain an oral request. The court did not order a traverse. It is needed here. The respondent (my client) states he was never served, with credible proof. Petitioner created a false affidavit of service.
Infolawyer, Lawyer