Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex-husband was able to go n full custody of my son while…

Customer Question
My ex-husband was able to...
My ex-husband was able to go n full custody of my son while I was in residential treatment for PTSD and alchohol abuse. I found out once I got out and the papers has me listed as the Petitioner. I did not petition it, I didn't even know he was doing this. I was never served or contacted. My question is where do I start to get my son back? I'm also wondering why it was filed as me being the Petitioner.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/10/2017
Family Lawyer: Seattle Scott, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Seattle Scott

If you were the petitioner in the divorce you stay the "petitioner" in future court proceedings. You ex was the "moving party" in the custody modification. if you were never served, then he got an emergency temporary custody modification, so you should have an opportunity to be heard at a future hearing.

How do I get a hearing? I'm not sure where to start . They are living in San Diego and I am in Utah. Do I need to find a family law attorney in CA?

What did the custody order say regarding visitation schedule for each parent before it was changed? Was the divorce granted in CA? Did you son live the majority of the time with his father in CA, or with you in UT?

I will follow up with you tomorrow