Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In July of this year my ex husband was put on an graduating…

Customer Question
In July of this...

In July of this year my ex husband was put on an graduating parenting schedule working his way up to 50-50 rights. The courts granted a 5225 schedule. With this order we have rotating weekends starting on Saturdays. I am being told now by my ex husband that the weekends need to change so the weekends rotate on Friday's instead because its Colorado law that weekends starts on Friday.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Is this accurate? I have read Colorado sees either Friday or Saturday as a weekend not just Friday. Colorado Adams county

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

He has a lawyer. I do not. The orders were put in place and honored from a CFI I hired back in the beginning.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

His last stage to earn him 50-50 parenting time starts this month. But the adjusted time was not listed in the court order. How much time do I have to make sure this time is put in place?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
please see attached final orders
11/9/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Here are some suggestions for possible schedules based on age:

• Infants up to 18 months:
    • Every Saturday from 9:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. with every Wednesday from 3:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., and a daily pick up from day care where the baby will be returned to the other parent's home.
    • Every Saturday from 11:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., (including an afternoon nap), and every Monday and Wednesday evening from 4:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. Occasional Saturday overnights can be added if the baby seems tolerant of the change.
  • Toddlers 18 month to three years:
    • Every Saturday from 10:00 a.m. until 10:00 a.m. Sunday, with every Monday and Wednesday night from 4:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m.
    • Two weekdays with four hour increments, and every Friday from 1 p.m. until noon on Saturday.
  • Preschoolers age 3-5 years:
    • Two weekdays from 1:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m., with overnights every Thursday night, and every other weekend from Thursday at 1:00 p.m. until 2:00 p.m. on Sunday.
    • Every Thursday from 5:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. on Saturday.
  • School-aged children:
    • Thursdays from 5:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. on Saturday.
    • Wednesdays from 3:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. on Saturday with one parent, and then Saturdays from 5:00 p.m. until 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday with the other parent.
    • Two consecutive weekdays with each parent, with alternating weekends with each parent.
  • Teenage children:
    • The same schedule as the school-aged child but with flexibility added to consider the various needs (work, school activities, and social life) of the teen.

You can argue for what works for you here.Smaller children here start on Saturdays as you state.

Our child is a Teenager and Saturdays are the rotating weekend. Our schedule is already in place. In your reply it seems you are stating Saturday is the typical rotating date for starting weekends in Colorado? Correct?

Yes Friday is not normal here although I have seen cases where dad picks them up from school if he is able to do so and return them earlier on Sundays.Normally it is Saturday.

Thank you.

You are so welcome thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.Have a great evening.