Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I️ am trying to figure out if I️ can get my child support…

Customer Question
I️ am trying to...

I️ am trying to figure out if I️ can get my child support raised I️ tried to do it through a mediator but he said I️ would have to higher a lawyer since my ex was unwilling to agree to raise it

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I️ hired a lawyer when we first did our agreement but have not spoken with one yet I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth it to take him back to court

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/9/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Yes, that is correct; in order for a child support modification order to be entered, a party needs to file a petition with the court, otherwise the current order remains in full force and effect.

The court only has jurisdiction to order support retroactive to the date the party requesting the modification (via a motion to modify filed with the court and served on the other party).

Agreements to modify are not binding until signed off by the court.

In order to get a modification 3 years must have passed, or a substantial change in circumstance (ie change in income).

Please see:

https://www.illinois.gov/hfs/ChildSupport/parents/Pages/Modifications.aspx

https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/legal-information/changing-child-support-payments

Forms are located here:

https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/legal-information/child-support-modification

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care

I️ understand that but I️ receive 5000 a month in child support my ex makes well over 500000 a year I’m just trying to make sure if I️ take him back to court the judge is not going to lower my child support I️ only make 35000 a year so his income is significantly higher then mine. There is no formula that I️ have seen for high income cases.

High income cases tend to be highly contested and the court has the discretion to determine the amount. The idea is that the child should be able to benefit from the earning capabilities of both parents.

based on what I️ told you do you think I️ should Perdue this and hire a lawyer or leave it as is.

Unfortunately with high income cases, it allows the judge discretion to determine the equitable amount. So it is impossible to predict what the judge would determine is equitable unless one has access to the particular judge's rulings on similar cases.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer